Diesel Anarchy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Diesel Anarchy

Cummins - Power Stroke - Duramax forum. Join Us Today!

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Auto verse Manual

Go down 
+6
Tacopper175
Overthehill50
Sunnydaytoday43
turboboy42
Thekid20
Dieselfreak5
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Dieselfreak5
Hang Around

Auto verse Manual  Empty
PostSubject: Auto verse Manual    Auto verse Manual  Empty28th August 2012, 9:18 pm

Well lets face it we all know the stock transmission in a dodge is not able to handle a good amount of power, But there are many options to beef it up so that the automatic can handle power like a manual can
Manual, the only problem i've heard of it the 5th gear nut backing off.
So my point is lets hear some opinions whats better and why?
Back to top Go down
Thekid20
Hang Around
Thekid20

Auto verse Manual  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Auto verse Manual    Auto verse Manual  Empty28th August 2012, 9:22 pm

5th gear is not a bad fix, took me about 4 hours to do it.
Back to top Go down
turboboy42
Hang Around

Auto verse Manual  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Auto verse Manual    Auto verse Manual  Empty28th August 2012, 9:24 pm

I think it really comes down to personal preference, but I know for a fact an auto will be more expensive then an manual.
Back to top Go down
Sunnydaytoday43
Hang Around

Auto verse Manual  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Auto verse Manual    Auto verse Manual  Empty28th August 2012, 9:26 pm

I've always wondered is the whole fifth gear thing like a certain amount of miles until it happens or is it random
Back to top Go down
Overthehill50
Hang Around
Overthehill50

Auto verse Manual  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Auto verse Manual    Auto verse Manual  Empty28th August 2012, 9:27 pm

lugging the engine in 5th and extra power will rattle the stock nut off pretty easily. Another thing i have read up on is that with a fair bit of power you can actually rip the splines right off of the shaft because they dont actually run the width of the gear.
Back to top Go down
Tacopper175
Hang Around

Auto verse Manual  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Auto verse Manual    Auto verse Manual  Empty28th August 2012, 9:31 pm

My friends 5th gear nut replaced at 175,000 other than that i have no comlpaints with the transmission. My friend has bigger turbo, nozzels, and lots of pump upgrades
Back to top Go down
mike1456
Hang Around

Auto verse Manual  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Auto verse Manual    Auto verse Manual  Empty28th August 2012, 9:33 pm

257,000 miles on my 97 with the nv4500. Fuel plate and afc all the way forward. The transmission sometimes makes a little noise in fifth gear but nothing wrong yet
Back to top Go down
Jackryan
Administrator
Jackryan

Auto verse Manual  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Auto verse Manual    Auto verse Manual  Empty28th August 2012, 9:38 pm

I'll show some support for the Automatic, first lets just say if you keep your truck stock and do the routine maintenance they will last. One of my great friends going on 254,000 that might be a world record. Keep in mind he doesn't tow. My truck currently has an ATS stage 2 automatic because I do a serious amount of towing and I didn't feel like always having to shift. I think both transmission are great and both will need to be strengthened up if you work/mod the truck.
Back to top Go down
https://dieselanarchy.forumotion.com
Xander12
Hang Around

Auto verse Manual  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Auto verse Manual    Auto verse Manual  Empty28th August 2012, 9:43 pm

Quote :
I'll show some support for the Automatic, first lets just say if you keep your truck stock and do the routine maintenance they will last. One of my great friends going on 254,000 that might be a world record. Keep in mind he doesn't tow. My truck currently has an ATS stage 2 automatic because I do a serious amount of towing and I didn't feel like always having to shift. I think both transmission are great and both will need to be strengthened up if you work/mod the truck.
x2
Back to top Go down
tomandjerry94
Hang Around

Auto verse Manual  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Auto verse Manual    Auto verse Manual  Empty1st September 2012, 10:34 pm

Stock I agree there both equally good. But with mods manual will be a whole bunch cheaper
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Auto verse Manual  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Auto verse Manual    Auto verse Manual  Empty

Back to top Go down

Auto verse Manual
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Diesel Anarchy :: 12 Valve 2nd Gen Dodge Cummins 94-98-
Jump to: